A Tribute to Gaia: Footscrubs + Meditation
Today, we celebrate the mother we all share, Mother Earth. During a time facing COVID-19, we are all in a unique position where most of us have taken the time to look within. For some of us, we are going on our 4th, 5th, 6th week of social distancing/at-home quarantine, sheltering ourselves from the outside world and others. What this does is allowing us to reflect on the current situation and work on our spiritual journeys. Most of us are connecting deeply with animals, deities, practices, and our home, earth.
Gaia is one of the Greek primordial deities and the embodiment of Mother Earth. Gaia was the great mother of all creation. She birthed the heavenly gods through her union with the god Uranus to create the sky, creating the sea-gods from her union with Pontos, her mating with Tartaros she conceived the Giants, and mortal creatures were born directly from her earthy flesh.
Today, I had the blessings of Gaia to guide me through a guided meditation session with several meditators from different parts of Guam, the U.S. and Japan. Each of us planting seeds within us and sharing our plants to help heal the world. Below are the instructions for the session and a recipe for a grounding foot scrub to connect yourself to the earth and ease anxiety.
Tribute to Gaia Meditation (about 30 mins)
1. Find a space you feel comfortable placing your mat, towel, or blanket. You can either choose to lie down or sit comfortably in a seated position.
2. Take three slow, deep breaths. Inhale deeply and exhale slowly. Move with your breath, feel your breath moving in and out of your body.
3. Begin to honor this session for Mother Earth by silently saying, “Mother Nature, I honor you, I open myself to you here and now. Bless me with your loving energy.”
4. Imagine a seed planted in your Mula bandha, at your root. As you inhale, you are giving life to this seed, breathing in fresh air for the seed to grow. Inhale, your seed is growing, exhale, release. Inhale, exhale (2x).
5. Focus on the sensation traveling from your root to your core. As the seed is growing, you may feel a sensation of warmth or coolness. This means you are focusing on the energy your core is creating naturally. Inhale, exhale (3x).
6. Visualize your seed sprout into a root and slowly growing into a plant. Your plant is now glowing. Glowing with energy. Visualize the glowing energy of your core stretching out to touch the glowing energy of your aura. The plant within you is spreading this glow. As your energy begins to enhance, what do you sense? Do you feel a specific emotion? Do ideas drift in your head? Do you have any thoughts or vague hunches? Pay attention.
7. Give yourself a few moments of silence to observe your thoughts, your feelings, your emotions. Then, send the plant that’s growing in your core a feeling of gratitude. What do you want to say to your plant? “I appreciate the energy you are giving me today. I want to share this energy with others. I want to share this energy to help heal the world.”
8. Release your plant from within to share your growth with others. You have released your plant from within to continue growing outside.
9. When you are done releasing your plant, silently say to yourself, “Mother Earth, thank you for your many blessings. Thank You for being here with me during this meditation. May your love travel with me.”
10. You can open your eyes, reflect on your practice, focus on your intention, write in your journal, or share the experience with a friend.
Gaia's Grounding Foot Scrub
You will need:
- 3 tbsp sea salt
- 6 tbsp jojoba oil
- 10 drops tea tree oil
- 5 drops cedarwood oil
- 5 drops pine, birch and/or patchouli
What to do:
- Mix sea salt + oils
- Soak feet in a warm water bath for at least 5 minutes.
- Pour out the water, and massage the scrub into your feet in a circular motion.
- Add warm water to the bath, and soak feet for another 5 minutes.
- Stand on the ground and thank Gaia for helping you remain grounded and finding your footing.
Whenever you feel detached from the earth or thoughts of worry fill your mind, call on to Gaia, our Mother Earth to absorb you troubles, toxins, and energetic baggage. But don't forget to thank her, honor her, love, and care for her as she does for you.
Namaste forever, L+M+A
The Spells Deck by Cat Cabral
The Green Witch by Arin Murphy-Hiscock
The Witch's Book of Self Care by Arin Murphy-Hiscock
Please practice safely + responsibly. Be mindful of your surroundings. Do not harm yourself + other living + non-living beings. Be kind to Mother Earth as she safeguards our items after use. Most of all, believe in yourself + have faith that your energy will manifest what you truly desire.